Monday, January 3, 2011

Spotlight on... Alicia Cho!

Alicia Cho (center on throne) as "Dido" in the Five College Opera
production of Purcell's Dido and Aeneas at Mt. Holyoke College's
Rooke Theatre in Spring 2009.

Why acting?



Acting is cathartic for me. I love analyzing the script to discover the character’s motives and emotions. This creative and collaborative art form allows me to not only understand and empathize with people’s emotions, but also challenges me to grow emotionally as a person. For example, I grew up learning that I was not allowed to cry, unless I was at a funeral. I found a love for theatre when acting as a character allowed me to access and portray my vulnerable emotions without any judgment.

How did you get involved with Shikataganai?
During my internship at the New Century Theatre, Ed Cho (my older brother) sent me the email about the audition. I’m not sure how he found out about the auditions… but thanks to him, I became involved with the play!

What is your favorite word?
“Shiitake mushrooms.” Technically, these are two words. Does that still count? If not, then “kismet” is my favorite word. It’s one of those words that I had to memorize for the SAT. Whenever I hear that word, I think of the phrase, “Kiss me! It’s kismet!”

What is your least favorite word?
Screech. I keep thinking about nails clawing down a chalkboard whenever I hear that word.

What turns you on?
Intellectual and emotional connection as well as a sense of humor.

What turns you off?
Lack of integrity.

What sound or noise do you love?
The singing voice of a man trying to woo a woman. Let’s just say, a guy singing and playing the guitar (or any other instrument) at the same time wins the path to my heart.

What sound or noise do you hate?
Any noise that disturbs my sleep. Please leave me to my dreams.

What do you plan to do with your life?
Even though I have a passion for music and theatre, I would love to pursue the field of medicine. I strive to be like Anton Chekhov, who claimed, “Medicine is my lawful wife and literature my mistress; when I get tired of one, I spend the night with the other.”

Why is theatre necessary?
Theatre is necessary because it provides a social outlet for people to bond and temporarily escape from the stress of reality. More importantly, it provides a fresh perspective and challenges the audience members to question their previously established beliefs, especially when the play deals with a controversial topic. The more I dive deeper into theatre, the more I realize that entertainment (in the form of music, film, and theatre) strongly influences the psychology of society; the audience’s perception of character interaction on stage impacts society’s expectations of gender and racial roles.



Alicia Cho (bottom left) as "Witch #2" in
Smith College's MacBeth in Fall 2010.

Alicia Cho (Kei Matsumoto) is a skilled singer and actress with extensive experience in musical theatre, opera, and straight plays. Raised in East Brunswick, New Jersey, Alicia will graduate as a Theatre Major and pre-med student from Smith College in the Spring of 2011. She has been trained at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (LAMDA) for the Spring 2010 Classical Acting Program. Past experiences include Dido in Purcell’s “Dido and Aeneas,” Nora in Vaughan Williams’ “Riders to the Sea,” Ophelia and the Priest in Shakespeare’s “Hamlet,” and Mistress Trickwell in Mary Pix’s “The Beau Defeated.” She has also been involved with the technical aspects of the New Century Theatre Internship during the Summer of 2010. Recently, she has been involved with the Smith College production of Shakespeare’s “Macbeth,” in which she played the roles of Witch #2, Donalbain, and Seyton. Her upcoming role is Kathy in the Amherst College J-term musical production of Sondheim’s “Company.” When she is not performing on stage, she loves traveling and exploring other cultures. Besides studying abroad in London, she has studied abroad in Ewha University for the Summer of 2008; she has also performed with the American Music Abroad Choir in Europe (Switzerland, Germany, Italy, France, and Austria) in the Summer of 2006. While she loves to act, sing, and write plays, she hopes to pursue the field of medicine. Email acho2011@gmail.comfor casting inquiries.


No comments:

Post a Comment