Saturday, January 1, 2011

Spotlight on... Anne Yukie Watanabe!

Anne (R) in Kyoto with obasan Yuko
and ojiichan Matsumoto Iwasaki.

Why acting?
I love how it involves your body, your voice, your emotions... it's such a holistic and engaging artistic experience, and really about being in the moment. It's also so interpersonal and community-oriented.

How did you get involved with Shikataganai?
I was at a time in my life when I wanted to try out acting but was very intimidated about the fact that I had no experience in theatre at all. And then I saw Kendra's ad on [Smith College’s] eDigest calling for Asian American actors/actresses, with a specific interest in Japanese-Americans, and no experience necessary. I felt like the ad had been written for me, it was really exciting. And the subject matter made it even more so, as a history major and someone whose family was incarcerated during World War II. It was the perfect gateway into theatre.

What is your favorite word?
Resonate.

What is your least favorite word?
I'm not sure. I've never really thought about this.

What turns you on?
Complexity and connection.

What turns you off?
The inability to listen.

What sound or noise do you love?
The sound of an approaching subway train.

What sound or noise do you hate?
A condescending tone of voice.

What is your favorite curse word?
Fuck. It's versatile, passionate and has nice consonants.

Anne kneading dough at home on the East Coast.
What do you plan to do with your life?
Social justice organizing of some sort. I haven't figured out the specifics, but I'm really interested in local community organizing and anti-violence activism.

What profession would you NOT like to do?
Most of them. I'm very picky.

Why is theatre necessary?
To remind people of the power of being physically present when art is being created, when so much of art is being distributed in a really digital, centralized way. And to cherish the moment, because each performance is different and is interpreted in all kinds of ways by different actors, directors, etc. It's beautiful to see human experiences represented in the insightful and dynamic ways that theatre does.


1 comment:

  1. Awesome answers Anne!!! I can't wait to go to Hawaii with you! :)

    ReplyDelete